Friday, January 28, 2005

Million Dollar Bummer?

In the run-up to it's wide release, the new Clint Eastwood-Hillary Swank chick boxing flick "Million Dollar Baby" has been widely hailed as one of the best movies of 2004 and racked up a slew of big Oscars nominations.

One feature of nearly every review has been a mention that there's some sort of huge plot twist about 2/3rds of the way thru but, of course, it wasn't revealed, though I've always though that even warning of a twist is almost as bad as giving it away cuz you'll be sitting there the whole time waiting for something to happen.

However, in the last week, several sites and columnists have either mentioned what the movie is ultimately about (by their reckoning) and some widely-read articles have flat out given away the whole darn story. I'm not going to repeat the details here - you can Google if you want to - but I suspect a serious Culture War skirmish is going to break out over this movie, making it impossible to avoid discovery and discussion.

Suffice to say, if you're looking for a scrappy, underdog, "Rocky in a sports bra" type of heart-warming movie, you're gonna be sorely surprised by what occurs and what the story seems to be saying about life.

I'm really troubled by what I've read about it, but I'm reserving comment until it either breaks out publicly or I see it, which became less likely (though I did want to before) after the spoilers and the qualms became known.

No comments: