Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Devo Fans, I've Got A Question

I know there are some knowledgable music fans reading here, so I'm throwing this bleg out to you, cuz Google isn't helping.

I was listening to "Devo Greatest Hits" last night and the song "Gates of Steel" came on. I recognized it at first, but then realized I didn't know where I knew it from. It's on "New Traditionalists", but I don't have that (or any other Devo) album and I don't recall ever listening to the whole album anywhere before. (i.e. With a friend back in the Eighties.)

Has this song ever been in a movie soundtrack or been covered or am I just having the same deja vu that I had when I first heard Souixie and the Banshees' "Kiss Them For Me"? I thought it was another song during the intro, but I can't recall what it was because the KTFM melody has supplanted whatever it was in my memory.

If you've got an answer, post it in the comments or e-mail it to the link in my profile. The correct answer will be updated here. Thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gates of steel is off of 'Freedom of Choice" and got a fair amount of airplay in the 80's.

Has apparently been covered by Skankin' Pickle, Supernova, Groovie Ghoulies, and Junkyard Dogs.

Dunno if it has been on any soundtracks.

Dirk Belligerent said...

Gates of steel is off of 'Freedom of Choice" and got a fair amount of airplay in the 80's.

That's correct. I don't know where I got what I posted. Duh. D'oh!

I think that perhaps I'd heard it on Flashback Alternatives recently, but never gave it a thought.

Either way, that's for writing. :)