Round Two of the Presidential debates is being hyped as do-or-die for McCain because, well, because the Treason Media wants their Anointed Fuhrer in and fascism imposed upon the country. Any questions?
Regardless, this IS a big deal because after Moose-Slayer pounded Joe Biden so badly that the TM had to spin extra hard and ignore his nearly two dozen lies, fibs, and hallucinations, McCain is set to lay some hurting on the Obamessiah. In the past few days, Obama's terrorist pals have started to get some coverage and people who were blithely guzzling the CHANGE! HOPE! Kool-Aid now have had to reconcile their boredom and disgust with Dubya and the Stupid Party with the inconvenient truth that Obama may be too radical for their tastes. They want the "good" parts of socialism (i.e. "free" health care, "free" whatever), but not the bad parts (i.e. gulags, oppression).
NBC's coverage is already setting things up as McCain being a big meaniehead and the world's problems being all his faults. Tom Brokaw has picked the questions and since he's sanitized Obama's terrorist mentor, Bill Ayer, as an "educator", look for a fair and balanced batch of questions to be asked. (*COUGH*BULLSH*T*COUGH*)
Obama ducked McCain's offer to do ten of these over the summer, so let's see if McCain can use his skill edge to win. Will he be able to attack a fellow liberal? Live-blogging and updating as needed...
• Opening question is about the economy. (Duh.) Obama says this is the final verdict for the past eight years and says that Marxism is the answer. (Well, not in those exact words.) McCain totally forgets to mention that the Dems blocked Fannie/Freddie oversight that he wanted. Oy vey!!! It's gonna be a loooooooooooooong night. Gawd, how frigging hard is it to remember that you tried to stop this?!? Follow-up: Who would you name as Secretary of the Treasury? McCain had nothing much and Obama spewed more class warfare.
• OK, now that's better. On the 2nd question McCain finally mentions Freddiemac and Obama's money haul from them. Obama has a bemused smile - what's he got for a retort? A: A lot of blather and blame for free enterprise. McCain better punch back cuz it's not as if Barry's gonna be his pal in the Senate if it loses. Obama says that McCain jumped onto the bill after a year. Does McCain retort, "At least I got onto it while you were taking payola."? Nope. Gah!
• I'm gonna abbreviate their names to Mc and O if you don't mind. You know who's on the field. Work with me here.
• O says something true: Dubya has been a spendthrift. Will Mc mention that O wants to spend more? Again, NOPE! He talks about reaching across the aisle and cuddling with the Dems to get stuff done. Whoops! Spoke too soon as he mentions O's spending and earmarks. Nice, but it should've been the FIRST HALF of the answer, not the ass end.
• Drinking game for alcoholics only: Take a drink whenever Mc mentions "earmarks", "reformer", any sort of palling with Dems crap. If he says "Maverick" or "straight talk", finish the bottle and start planning to move out of the country before Fuhrer O fires up the gulags.
• The Corner is getting pounded again by traffic and so far they're thinking like I am: McCain is blowing it. These letters show the disgust of the people Mc will desperately need to show up for him. He's trying to out-liberal the most liberal member of the Senate. Rush was saying today that he doesn't understand why McCain is trying to get the mushy moderates and independents who would likely break left if left alone and here Mc is chasing them and letting O get away with murder.
• I'm tired and didn't get a nap before this thing started and I'm having a hard time focusing. Barack is spinning honeyed lies and John is babbling. Pffft.
• Brokaw didn't allow O to get a free follow-on like Gwen Ifill gave him. Boohoo. He used his next response to speak his piece, but ignored Brokaw's question to do it. Will anyone in the TM call him on it like they did to Moose-Slayer? Ooooh, McCain gets a jab in that he'll answer the question. Then he takes it back be reminding us he stabs his party in the back. Shows a little fire but doesn't go nuclear.
• Ugh. A young woman asks about ManBearPig which allows Mc to get his Gore on. Ugh again. Mentions nuke power as good and that O is against it. This is manure, but he sounds enthused for it and that may help with the voters. O really believes in ManBearPig, too, so Moose-Slayer is the ONLY one of these four who isn't certifiably infreakingsane!
• On health care, O is peddling the distortion about about Mc's tax credits for insurance vs. taxing benefits being one hand taking what the other has received. I've seen the numbers run on this and the math works out that you DO save money under the Mc plan, but it doesn't sound like it works unless you run the numbers. What have I said about well-told lies vs. badly-told truths? Exactly. Mc didn't make his own case which means O's lie wins the point.
• So far, Mc has not pinned the tail on the donkey that O is promising tax cuts for everyone, but also that he's gonna increase spending like crazy? Who's gonna pay for all this govt. largesse? Huh? After you take Bill Gates' piggy bank, how do you finance another trillion bucks in spending?!? YOU CAN'T DO IT!!!! WTF DOESN'T McCAIN ASK THIS?!?!?!?!?
• Malkin's disgusted by all this. "I feel like watching the Palin/Biden debate again. How about you?"
• Now to foreign policy, O is whining about war cutting into his socialism piggy bank. More recycled lies about the money spent, blah-blah-woof-woof. Hooooooo!!!! HUGE LIE when O says that he agrees that America is the greatest nation on Earth, but catches himself and reminds his base that he thinks America is bad. Bleah.
• Brokaw asks for what the "Obama Doctrine" would be? He's mentioning Darfur and Rwanda, but those tragedies are the fault of the UN, the corrupt outfit that O would outsource our foreign policy to. If McCain doesn't smash this out of the park, I'm voting for Barr. He doesn't. Gah.
• Michael Graham at The Corner:
I don't think pit bulls, with or without lipstick, can save this slow-moving chat show. When the most passion is over the clock and warning lights, you've got a real flopperoo on your hands.That's where I think voters are at: Obama doesn't seem like a naive, radical, racist and terrorist-coddling, Marxist with a cult leader Messianic streak; Dubya sucks and McCain is old; why not give the new guy a shot. HOW MUCH WORSE COULD IT BE?
I think the typical voter sees two politicians who seem reasonably competent. 90% of those voters think we're on the wrong track. So why not vote to kick Bush in the shins and elect the Democrat? What's the difference?
And, based on their performance tonight thus far, I'd have to agree.
A: Jimmy Carter on steroids. And crack. And meth. Unfortunately, people younger than their mid-30s don't remember how terrible that gang was.
John Hood concurs:
Or you can put things very simply: every minute he failed to clearly and convincingly separate himself from President Bush, he was losing. During the past two weeks, the bottom has fallen out of the Republicans' ability to woo swing voters. It's about the economy, and the assumption that Bush is responsible for it. Having missed the best opportunity to staunch the bleeding — returning to Washington to lead the congressional opposition to the bailout plan, proposing a better alternative and demanding that an unpopular president embrace it — McCain must now seek every rhetorical opportunity to distance himself from Bush.• Obama is a big honking crybaby and Brokaw had to let him have a bonus rant period to tell his garbage about "taking the ball of Afghanistan" and blah-blah-woof-woof. McCain had a decent response, but will his tepid tone connect? It's funny that the Treason Media has painted Mc has this angry, crazed, warmongering maniac because he's a total wuss when he could legitimately lay the smack down.
Sure, the campaign should also try to link Obama to unpopular congressional leaders and radical figures and ideas, but that's not the fundamental problem. Swing voters are mad and they want to vote against Bush. McCain will do.
For his part, all Obama had to do was avoid making a mistake — you know, by letting his mind wander away from the question onto matters such as who'll be the deputy Commerce secretary for widget promotion and such.
• Ten minutes from the end - I don't think we're going to be hearing any questions about Bill Ayers, Rev. Wright, Tony Rezko, etc. (Duh.)
• McCain has a clear advantage on foreign policy, but does it matter to most voters? They're freaking out over the Dem-caused financial meltdown and worried about how to pay the bills. Obama offers Pollyanna "Don't Worry. Be Happy." platitudes and the eyewash that if only we were nicer to the mean people, they'd like us and stop being mean to us. This Kumbayah BS is exactly what got us 9/11 in the first place. People have forgotten, haven't they? Such is the power of Treason Media brainwashing. [sigh]
• Yaaaaaaawwwwwwwnnnnn!!! This was a big snoozefest with neither guy making any mistakes or land any devastating blows. The spin will surely differ, but Obama lied, McCain let him get away with economic BS while trying to match up in pandering.
• HA!!! I was right cuz NBC's Chuck Todd immediately brought up the tanking markets and how this hurts Republicans. Gee, when the Treason Media goosesteps the party line that ignores that the Dems are to blame for this debacle, I guess it would play out that way. Andrea "Mrs. Greenspan" Mitchell invoked the "headwinds" for the McCain. Someone on the Corner predicted that McCain saying "that one" would be a talking point and Brian Williams delivered. Bah.
• Flipping over to PBS, a former Clinton speechwriter said that the public was the winner because there was a substantitive debate (?), didn't get into character assassination "like Sarah Palin has been doing" (?!?), and felt that the people would "vote in their interests". meaning for fascism under the O banner. Bleah. Michael Gerson calls out McCain for all the missed opportunities to point out O's terribly naive views. The Clinton guy (a black man) is subtly dealing the race card, too. What a surprise. Gerson doesn't see it that way, but he's a White Devil, so he's obviously in denial!!!
• Back to NBC, the Truth Squad was pretty noneventful, but they're working the meme about "that one" to get that racial grievance whipped up. Chuck Todd is on and he repeats it again and says that Obama's Brownshirts are already firing around the web. He also mentions how bad the Dow is declining and reminds us that McCain must suffer for the Dems sins. Andrea Mitchell is a-flutter over the Big O's closing statement for "change". Do you know what "CHANGE! HOPE!" translates to in the original German? "SEIG HEIL!!!"
• Four weeks until the Election and the only one speaking the Truth about Obama is Sarah Palin. McCain isn't getting his message out thru the Treason Media's filters and when he has the spotlight like this, he isn't stepping up to bring the noise. Obama is spending THREE TIMES as much and his ACORN cronies are rounding up homeless people to commit voter fraud in Ohio already and with conservatives already leery of McCain and only staying interested because of patriotism and Palin, the longer he shuffles along, the more likely this "humble servant's" last public act will be to deliver the United States into the hands of the fascists and communists that he once fought against and suffered under. He's got the albatross of Dubya and his worthless party around his neck, but he'll have to do a hella lot more and better to spare this nation a horrible fate.
• Bottom Line: It was a draw, but since everyone is predisposed to give the "skinny kid with a funny name" a chance, it means Obama is one step closer to becoming Fuhrer.
• I've got a busy day tomorrow and I'm not getting paid to waste time listening to the spin, so this will probably be it for the evening; I'm passing on Nightline and Charlie Rose. G'nite!
• In case you think I'm being harsh on McCain, here's what Andy McCarthy had to say:
You Guys Are NutsNothing, Andy. Nothing at all. Last week, conservative chatterboxes were demanding that Palin drop off the ticket to save McCain. After she whacked Biden, that noise ended. When are we going to hear calls for McCain to GTFO?
We have a disaster here — which is what you should expect when you delegate a non-conservative to make the conservative (nay, the American) case. We can parse it eight ways to Sunday, but I think the commentary is missing the big picture.
Here's what Obama needed to do tonight: Convince the country that he was an utterly safe, conventional, centrist politician who may have leftward leanings but will do the right thing when the crunch comes.
Now, as the night went along, did you get the impression that Obama comes from the radical Left? Did you sense that he funded Leftist causes to the tune of tens of millions of dollars? Would you have guessed that he's pals with a guy who brags about bombing the Pentagon? Would you have guessed that he helped underwrite raging anti-Semites? Would you come away thinking, "Gee, he's proposing to transfer nearly a trillion dollars of wealth to third-world dictators through the UN"?
Nope. McCain didn't want to go there. So Obama comes off as just your average Center-Left politician. Gonna raise your taxes a little, gonna negotiate reasonably with America's enemies; gonna rely on our very talented federal courts to fight terrorists and solve most of America's problems; gonna legalize millions of hard-working illegal immigrants.
McCain? He comes off as Center-Right .. or maybe Center-Left ... but, either way, deeply respectful of Obama despite their policy quibbles.
Great. Memo to McCain Campaign: Someone is either a terrorist sympathizer or he isn't; someone is either disqualified as a terrorist sympathizer or he's qualified for public office. You helped portray Obama as a clealy qualified presidential candidate who would fight terrorists.
If that's what the public thinks, good luck trying to win this thing.
With due respect, I think tonight was a disaster for our side. I'm dumbfounded that no one else seems to think so. Obama did everything he needed to do, McCain did nothing he needed to do. What am I missing?
• Ended up watching Nightline and Snuffleuphagous declared Obama the winner - not unreasonable - and pointed out that Obama's calm demeanor is helping him convince voters that he'll be the stable one in a crisis.
Wasn't it only a few weeks ago when the choice of Moose-Slayer had him filling his diapers and his Brownshirts whipped into hysterical jihad against her? Then what happpened? Team McCain put her under wraps, sent her out in a straightjacket to be ambushed by Chuck and Katie, and turned her into a convenient meme for the Left. After she broke free and laid the smack down on Biden, she re-energized the race, but now that it fell to McCain to make his case, he's blown it.
It's kinda sad that the former Clinton hack (Dondi) is actually one of the straighter-shooters on this show. Matthew Dowd foisted the lie that Palin lost in top of all of McCain's failures. What else could we expect? They're bringing up Palin's sounding the alarm on Bill Ayers and Dowd spins it as desperate fear-mongering and "40 year old news when people are worried about the economy". Donna Brazile (another Dem apparatchik - where are the token non-libs?) denounced all these tactics and declared the public will punish them for daring besmirch the Obamessiah. To hear them tell it, it's going to be a landslide for fascism. [sigh]